Saturday, March 8, 2008

Mandriva 2008 Gettin' (Almost) All The Love!

OK. So if you've been following this over the last few days, you know that I've been toying around with several different Linux distros for my laptops. I've done Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu Ultimate, Ubuntu Studio, gOS, and Mandriva 2008. I think I've settled of Mandriva. I'm not sure why, but I think I', going to have to do just enough work on the wireless card set up that it will force me to learn how to do it, which is good, but it won't be so difficult that I'll have to wash the blood off of my screen (from the blood spurting out of my eyes from the pressure and frustration of trying to et a wireless card working!) which is a good thing.

So, for now, it's looking like Mandriva's getting, almost, all the love. I still have Ubuntu Server 7.10 running my VMWare system (* FYI - I finally got it up and running today!), and I'm running an Ubuntu laptop at work, so I'm not completely getting away from the most popular distro, I'm just trying something new.

I also just purchased a Linux Magazine today that contains the Mandriva PowerPack. Which should give me some cool effects and other packages to play with. This is good stuff!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try PCLinuxOS

Gary Drumm said...

Yeah, I have that distro as well. I'm thinking of setting up a virtual machine to play around with it a little bit. The main issue is that it's KDE, and I don't really like the KDE desktop as much. Or, rather, I'm not as familiar with the KDE desktop, I guess.

Anonymous said...

If Mandriva is good, PCLinuxOS is better.
At least give it a spin.