Tuesday, April 22, 2008

VMWare ESX 3.5 Install - Connecting to Your SAN

The installation of ESX (Virtual Infrastructure) 3.5 is is a relatively simple and straight forward process. VMWare has a couple of paths you can take. One is to download an ISO that creates a bootable CD.

So, on the Dell 2900, where I installed 3.5, you first go into the BIOS (F2) and set the boot order so that the CD ROM comes first. You could also press F11 to bring up the boot menu and select the CD ROM from the list. But you need to make sure that the CD ROM is allowed as a bootable device, which means you're going to have to go into the BIOS anyway, so why not just go ahead and put it as the first device in the list while you're there?

At any rate, once you have all that done, the rest is pretty much EXACTLY like I describe in my previous post on installing ESX 3.0.

Now, for my installation, I also wanted to connect the system to my EMC AX150, so that I could boot the virtual machines off of the SAN, instead of the local server. To do this, you need to do a couple of things...

First, the new ESX 3.5 REQUIRES that you use the new Virtual Infrastructure Client v2.5. The older 2.0 will not work. I supposed you could go all "Linux" on it and do the setup by hand, but the GUI makes it pretty simple, so I use the GUI (Flamers, please send comments to garydoesntcare@garydrumm.com). Anyway,so the next few pictures will give you some insight on this exciting stuff...

Click on the thumbnails for a larger view...



















(OK. So the pictures are HUGE and lack context. I'll make the changes this evening and you can check back when they're done.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very informative, thanks. Any way to correct the pictures so we can see the entire screen vs. them being cut off?

Unknown said...

This is exactly what im looking for. Unfortunately I cant see or download any of the graphics.

Any chance of a cleanup or copy of the procedure.

Thanks!