Saturday, May 25, 2013

Actually, You Are The Center Of The Universe

When I was growing up I was, like just about every other kid, concerned with what I wanted.  I wanted this candy, or that toy, or some other cool experience. And at times I was, dare I say, a little selfish and bratty, and when I wasn't selfish and bratty I was probably sleeping. To combat this childish selfishness, and that's really what selfishness is all about - a lack a maturity and understanding, my mother would use phrases like "You're not the center of the universe, you know." or "The world doesn't revolve around you.".  Of course this wasn't meant to intimidate me or make me feel bad as a person, which ironically it did just that, but it was intended to inform me that there are other people.So, like most people who've grown up under similar circumstances I went out into the world to stake my claim feeling deep down inside that I really didn't have a right to any claim at all because I am not the center of the world.  Feeling guilty for my successes.  F

http://garydrumm.com/gary-drumm/center-of-the-universe

No comments: