Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What's New In Techie Land?

Wow, it's been a couple of weeks since I've updated this thing. I've been a little pre-occupied with work and home life stuff the last couple of weeks, so I really haven't done a whole lot in ways of techie stuff.

A couple of things that have happened, however; we had a major hard drive corruption at work on the EMC SAN that we just set up. Turns out the file server had been throwing errors for a few days and nobody caught it, that is until I started recieving phone calls from people telling me they were getting "corrupt data" error messages.

The beautiful part was we backed up a lot of corrupt data for a couple of days, so we had to run a CHKDSK on a 350 GB SAN partition. It tooks about 6.5 hours, but all of the data was recovered. Whew! That was a close one.

On another note, I finally got our RESTORE backup server online (http://www.restore-backup.com). It's a very handy little backup solution that basically takes snapshots of windows shares and copies them to another location on the network, which you can then archive off to tape, DVD, Mega portable drive, whatever.

The cool thing? It's FREE! Of course, since it's open source, it's a little touchy getting support, but if you dig into the manual, read the FAQ, and check out the forums, it's not too bad for the price. I think I'm one step closer to killing Backup Exec, w00t!

On the home front I haven't really done much lately. I'm kind of head's down preparing for my PMP on the 7th of June. It's a pretty intense test, from what I've heard, and at $400 a pop, I really only want to take this thing once.

So that's about it. I'll write more as I get into another technology area. Until then "Geek out!"

No comments: