Sunday, April 6, 2008

Office Update

OK, so I worked on my office a little this afternoon. I know I've kind of gone back and forth trying to figure what I'm going to do, but I think I've finally come to a conclusion. For starters, I'm going line the floor, walls, and ceiling of my office closet with acoustic foam, dampening any ambient noise that may come from the computers I'll be placing there.

Next, I'll build a desk/table top, this will be a custom installation of shelving for this closet, since I have several storage bins for various equipment and files, and I want to make it a multi-function design, allowing me to use the closet as both a server closet and storage closet.

I'm lining it with foam because, for the immediate future I'm keeping the 600SC's online. Though I'm going to experiment with another idea using the 500GB HDD out of my iOmega drive enclosure. This would be great because I wouldn't have to fork over a couple of hundred dollars for a 500GB HDD, and I can always go back and drop a smaller IDE drive in the enclosure at a later time.

I could then use this drive in the GX280 as it's root drive, re-install Xubuntu, and then setup VMWS 2.0 for my virtualization backbone and migrate the 600's off. But that's likely to happen a couple of month from now. I have so much going on at work I just haven't had time to mess with my home setup much.

At any rate, I think this is a good idea. Anyone have another idea? Comment below:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best way to quiet the servers is to quiet the noise making parts themselves... the fans. If you have the space in your server, look into water cooling equipment. It's probably cheaper than getting enough foam to cover your entire closet and much more pleasing to the eye. I would think you'd also have a big probem with heat. (How are you going to set cabinets and shelves on a foam floor? The hard drives still make some noise but not like server fans. Dampening inside of the server cases could help that too.

#5