Friday, April 11, 2008

Suse on the XPS

If you follow my blog at all, you know that I've been talking about my screwed up, Gen 1, Dell XPS laptop. This thing has been buggy for weeks. Well this evening, while working on my office re-org project, I pulled the XPS out of the closet and decided to see if I could get it to boot. You know, just for the fun of it. Low and behold, the thing booted up. Of course, I had to remove and re-install the hard drive, which means that it had somehow come loose. That also explains why it wouldn't get past the POST.

At any rate, I had Mandriva running on the machine before it crapped out on me. But I've done Mandriva. Let's try something new... Suse! OK, so Suse isn't something to get all excited about. It's basically a watered down version of Red Hat and it's owned by former networking giant, Novel. Since MS kicked them out of the networking world about 13 years ago, I guess they had to do something.

Anyway, so Suse installed without issue. So much so, in fact, that I'm writing this post, using my new Suse install, at this very moment. Even though I haven't gotten the wireless configured just yet, the rest of the components, including hard-wired networking, seem to have sailed right on through.

So I'll leave Suse on here for now. But the bast part is, I got my XPS back! :).

No comments: