Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Upgrading to VMWare ESX 2.X and 3.0 to 3.5

Well kiddies, if you're wondering "what's Gary been doing lately?", and I know you have, let me tell you. I've been pretty much head's down preparing for a major virtual infrastructure upgrade at work. Basically, I'm currently managing and maintaining 6 VMWare boxes; including: ESX 3.0, ESX 2.5.2, ESX 2.5.4, and VMWare Server 1.0.2 spanning connections to two SAN's (and EMC 150 and Stonefly).

So basically what we're (and by we're me and my buddy Matt, who subs as a Network Admin) is installing the new 3.5 infrastructure on a Dell 2900, attach it to the the EMC SAN, migrate all of the old machine to the new 3.5 box (16 in all), and finally re-deploy a Dell 6850 as the 2900's HA partner server.

Whew! I get tired just thinking about it. But it'll be good times. Add to that the deployment of the new Virtual Center Management Server 2.5, and we'll be cooking with gas.

So as I get closer to completing the WBS (That's "Work Breakdown Structure" for my non-PMP'ish readers), which should be by the end of the week, I post it here (with the server names and IP addresses removed, of course) so you can see the magnitude of the project.

The project plan, thus far, is already 32 MB in size and 23 pages long! Yeah, I know. But we're talking about production systems here, and I don't mess with production servers without a detailed plan. Almost down to "click on OK to continue" or "type cd vmfs/vmhba0:0:0:5/server.vmdk". Better to know EXACTLY what you're doing before jacking with production servers.

So check back with me later in the week, ir better yet, subscribe! :)

5 comments:

Charisse said...

Hello Gary,
I am in the midst of a VMWare project on a smaller scale. I have 2 ESX servers v 2.5 and 1 at 3.5 along with Virtual Center 2.5. I am at the beginning stages of writing the project plan and would be interested in reviewing your plan. Is there a link somewhere to the plan? Thank you, Charisse

Anonymous said...

Your post is very interesting.
I am also in the process of working up a plan for a VMware ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 with EMC Arrays and a new SAN. You mentioned that you would be posting a sanitized copy of your project plan, but I am unable to find a link. I'd like to review what you compiled as a way to make sure I haven't left something out.

Anonymous said...

I also am in the planning/test phase of a 2.5 to ESX 3.5 upgrade. Was wondering if you ever ended up sharing the 32mb project plan you mentioned. I would truly be interested in seeing it.
David Metcalf
dmetcalf@imb.org

Gary Drumm said...

David,

Unfortunately, my company's legal department put the kabosh on posting the project plan. Which, in retrospect, was probably a good idea. What I can do, most likely, is post information on the scope and remove the proprietary information. But I'll have to run it past our lawyers first. Give me a few days and let me see what I can do.

It was a really good plan, and I'd love to be able to share some of the lessons learned through the process.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the well-priced Remote Management & Monitoring utility for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central software inventory management
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!