Friday, April 4, 2008

Vicious Vista Vindictiveness

You know, maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand what everyone seems to hate so much about Vista. It's clean, it's relatively secure, it does what it's suppose to do. So why all the whining? I know, I know, it takes some getting used to. There are a lot of differences in the way you get things done, but we're talking a major OS overhaul here, so things are not likely to remain the same.

I remember when Microsoft introduced Windows 95 (yes, I know, I just dated myself), which was a HUGE difference from the Windows 3.1 and WFW interface, and I remember taking support phone calls from people who just purchased their brand new AST computer with the "new fangled" operating system.

"Where's my DOS prompt?" "How to I open to Word Perfect?" What's this weird dot in the middle of my screen?" (extra credit for anyone who gets that reference, by the way). Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

The biggest issue people seem to have outside of the new interface is that fact that it doesn't work with "legacy" hardware. But do you really need that craptastic HP laser printer from 1984 anymore anyway? Shouldn't you maybe go out an buy some new stuff?

So here's Gary top 5 tips for getting along with Vista:

#5. Understand that this is a "new" OS, it's not going to work the way you're used to working.
#4. Go out and buy Windows Vista for Dummies - No, I didn't just call you a dummy!
#3. Upgrade your hardware! That 8mm video camera you got from your great great grandfather probably won't work.
#2. Once you get some new hardware, download Microsoft Virtual PC and build a virtual XP box inside of Vista. This way you can run your XP only software and still have Vista on your box.
#1. Stop whining and switch to Linux! ;) - Just kidding! (sort of)

Seriously. In this day and age, it's not the person who can run the widget machine the best that gets ahead, it's the person who learns how to run the new widget machine the fastest who makes it to the top.

Just remember, it's all DOS underneath (BTW, check out Windows Power Shell for some more really cool goodies!) and while Vista may have some growing pains, Microsoft will eventually get the kinks worked out and we'll all be the better for it.

Agree? Disagree? Comment below: (Keep it clean, this is a "family blog")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on #2 virtualization gives you the best of both worlds... and you're right on in #5... Vista is just an OS, it's not going to be a life changing experience, and if you think it is then you're delusional

Great post... nice title too