Friday, March 7, 2008

gOS Not Ready For Prime Time

OK, so I've been working with gOS on my personal laptop for the last few days and, while I like some of the aspects (i.e. it's nice, clean appearance, quick launch bar, mac-esque desktop, etc.), there are other things that drive me insane. For example, when you maximize a window, it maximizes in the ENTIRE screen and you can't get to any other screens. The wireless support really blows. I've beat my head against the wall trying to get it to work properly with my home network but to no avail. Lastly, how in the name of all that is wired and connected to the Internet do I install a freakin' terminal server client?

I'm in the process of downloading PCLinux now, with the sexy Beryl desktop goodness. So I'm probably going to have that loaded in the next couple of days. The good news is, since I have a FreeNAS server, I've already copied all of my files up to the network, so wiping the drive won't really cause me too many issues at all.

So many distros, so little computer hardware budget.

No comments: