Friday, March 21, 2008

My Five Year Old Engineer

If you know me, you know I live for my son. He's the light and joy of my life. And, like all proud Papa's, I have to brag on him when he does something cool. So the other day I buy this little electronics learning kit. You snap the circuits into place, turn on the juice, and viola! You have an electronic thing running.

So I follow the directions and put this little fan together. I explain to Anthony how the circuit works, what the electricity is doing, and how it's powering the motor that's spinning the fan.

He looks at it for a few minutes, starts pulling it apart, and snapping in other pieces, adding to the complexity of the original design! Then he presses the button and PRESTO! The thing works!!!

After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I started congratulating him and shaking my head in amazement. I took some pictures of him holding his new "invention", and shot some video of him playing with it.

Now, I know what you're going to say. It's a fluke. No way a 5 year old understands what this thing is doing. That would be true were it not for the fact that we took it apart, placed it back in the box. A couple of days later he rebuilds the thing, and in almost the exact the configuration he had previously built.

So here's the picture of my extremely proud little boy holding his first circuit design. (The video will be posted to YouTube later)...

::: NOTE: Don't mind the date on the picture. I need to fix my camera's clock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, dude! We have Snap Circuits, too. Zachary got the base kit for his birthday and I'm going to get the upgrade to the big Daddy kit for my birthday.

Gary Drumm said...

Yeah, he was pretty proud of himself. We've built a couple of other projects, but he really likes the fan... He is 5, after all.