Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mythbuntu, MythMini, and Me

So I've been looking at MythTV lately. Looks like a pretty cool project to try. I've always wanted to have a PVR, but I've just never gotten around to buying one, so why not build it myself with a bunch of open source software?

So I think that's going to be my next project. That means I now have X Linux projects in the works:

1. Ubuntu/VM Ware Server Config and 600SC Conversion
2. Monowall of SmoothWall install (using the Barracuda, of course - I didn't leave it as my FreeNAS box)
3. RESTORE Backup Server (For home)
4. A Mythbuntu box.

Here's what I'm thinking...

- I set up a MythTV Back-end server that I'll keep in my office.
- Set up a fanless computer as my front-end server
- And finally, something I thought was kind of cool, see if I can get a MiniMyth or Maemomyth system installed on a Nokia n770 and use it as a remote control for the front-end box plugged into the TV.

This would be very cool. Of course, I'll have to upgrade my homer network infrastructure to gigabite networking! :)

No comments: