Saturday, July 5, 2008

Office Cleanup - Step One - The Plan

OK. So here's the plan. Taking much of the great advice I've read on LifeHacker, I've decided that only things I use on a regular basis will make it's way back into my office.

Now, being a technophile, a LOT of techie stuff is actually used on a regular basis. I'm constantly using computers, PDA's, phones, iPods, UMPC's, laptops, etc. It just depends on what I'm working on at the time. I do not, however; use a lot of pens, paper, or other "office supply" type items. SO I will keep these to a minimum.

There are some key aspects that need to be taken into consideration:

1. I have to have a "dump" spot, to empty my pockets of the MANY items I carry with me for work. I have a Blackberry Curve, a badge, sunglasses, a watch, my personal Blackberry Pearl, some company "stuff", a Bluetooth headset, my wallet, my keys, my company laptop bag, and (though rare) any cash I may have in pockets. Whew! That's just unloading from when I get home in the evenings.

2. I use a LOT of computers. Granted, I don't use them all at the same time, but I do move from machine to machine performing various tasks and projects. Given that I find myself using the desktop more and more, when I'm working in the office, I think I'm going to move the desktop to the main desk and the laptop the secondary desk.

So here's the computer plan:

- The desktop goes to the main desk.
- The D620 laptop goes to the secondary desk, along with a monitor and keyboard for the FreeNAS server.
- The various cables, connectors, and tools will go into thesze nifty litte zipper bags I found at Wal Mart:



My idea here is that I put different types of cables in different zipper bags. If I have too many of one type of cable, I put the excess in storage in the garage, in case I need them for something in the future.

3. I need to trim the amount of electronics I have overall. For example, I have 2 Dell Axim's that I NEVER use, and probably never will, because this particular model doesn't have Wifi, so it's pretty much useless to me. I keep thinking I might get a GPS kit for it, but I know I'm probably not going to do that any time soon.

4. Magazines need to get read and get out. I'll be donating these to a Dr's office of something. I have tons of Windows IT Pro, CIO, PMI, Information Week, Disaster Recovery Journal, and Linux Journal magazines. All timely. All have great information, but I really have no use for it once I've read them.

5. Media is fairly well organized, compared to the rest of the office. I have most of the DVD's in one location, most of the musis CD's in two zipper cases, and most of the VHS tapes... Holy crap I still have VHS tapes?!@!%^$#*@# OK, so the VHS tapes need to be converted to DVD on my Magnavox VHS=>DVD machine, so let's scratch that.

6. All "olde" tech goes "buh bye". No excuses. If I can't plug it in and get an immediate benefit from it, it's either sold, donated, or trashed.

7. All project gear (i.e my Vyatta router, my old DC/DNS server, etc.) goes to the "lab" (A.K.A. the garage) for further processing and analysis.

8. External devices are always an issue. I like the idea of an under the desk gadget mount, but I don't think I want to implement one at this time. So what I will be doing is putting all of my gadgets in one location, close to the computer itself.

9 Cable management will be solved by cutting my own cables to the correct length, where I can, and mounting custom cable management system where I cannot.

OK. So that about lays out my preliminary project scope.

No comments: