Wednesday, July 16, 2008

God I Love It When I'm Right!

Last year, I wrote a little blurb about VMWare's issues with Microsoft entering the hyper-visor market (Microsoft-vs-VMWare).

In this week's issue of Information Week, they discuss the recent departure of VMWare CEO Diane Greene. In the article they discuss the issues that VMWare faces with it's extremely high pricing model and the author (Charles Babcock) notes a quote by Gartner analyst Thomas Bittman:

"...with no competition, you can get away with that... now VMWare has seven solid competitors..."

Babcock also goes on to note:

"...it's Microsoft's presence that's sending shivers through the stock price..."

Don't get me wrong. VMWare is an awesome company, with an awesome product. They virtually (no pun intended) create the virtualization market on an enterprise scale. They have made it possible for companies to streamline their network infrastructure and management. That said, however; it's precisely what I stated almost 10 months ago that's causing them to experience the shakeup now.

Another quote from the article states. "...Microsoft offers a far deeper server and infrastructure management solution than VMWare". Duh! Ya think! Microsoft runs in 90% of networks in the market. If they decide to roll your little one-off application into their server core, what can you do? They have a unique ability to squeeze you out of a particular market without directly competing with you. Like I said, if Microsoft decides they want to play in your sandbox, your better off selling them all of your sand and letting them have it. It's just not a good idea to bet against Microsoft.

Wrong? Right? Who knows. I love VMWare's products and services. I use it in my own network environment. Just like said about Asus-vs-Dell in an earlier post this week, now we'll get to see what happens when the big boys come to town. If it were me, I would have courted Microsoft to buy me out...now, where did I put that "how to write the next big software technology platform pamphlet"?

No comments: