Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why Is My Home Office So Messy Anyway?

Believe it or not, I've had a couple of people who read this blog (yeah, I know. I was surprised too) ask me why my home office is so messy anyway. So here's a brief explanation.

I live about 45 miles from my place of employment. I drive about an hour to an hour and a half to get to and from work every day, where I'm the VP of Network Operations. Now, I don't know if you have any idea how busy a VP of Network Operations is on a regular basis, but I'm generally at the office about 50 hours a week, or so. Add 10 hours of driving and that's about 60 hours a week related to work.

OK. So on to reason (excuse) #2. School/Study/Education. I spent much of last year and the first part of this year finishing up a Master's Certification in Applied Project Management and IT Project Management (respectively). Since I finished the IT Master's Cert, I began working on preparing the PMP exam (which I'm taking in a couple of weeks from today). So, there goes another 12-15 hours a week.

Like most of you, I need sleep. I generally sleep about 6 hours a night, or about 42hours a week, much to the dismay of my doctor, who thinks I need to add about 10-12 hours to that (Who has that kind of time!?).

So, there are 168 hours in a week. I've already used up about 117 of them. True, that leaves a seemingly gigantic 51 hours, but when you consider that a lot of that time is likely the 2-3 hours a night I spend with my family during the work week (that's 15 hours), and the massive amount of other things happening on the weekends (birthdays, family, church, lawn work, honey-do lists, Daddy this and Daddy that, etc.) you can see how there's very little time for something like performing a massive office clean up.

Truth is, I'm not lazy, I'm freakin' tired! By the time the weekend rolls around I just want to veg out in front of the TV, or go swimming in the pool out back. I don't want to work on my damn office! OK, so I've ranted, thrown my little tantrum, and made my excuses... to the entire world. Now it's time to get it done. :)

No comments: